On Wednesday 12th October, Blackpool Gateway Academy, in partnership with Sports For Champions, took part in a UK fundraiser to help support the mental and physical health of our pupils after the national lockdowns.

Sophie Carrigill, who represented Great Britain in Wheelchair Basketball, visited the school and ran a sponsored fitness circuit from Nursery to Y6. As part of the event, Sophie shared her story of how she came to compete in Wheelchair Basketball, and her achievements, in order to inspire the children as the champions of tomorrow.

A huge 60% of the funds raised will be used to spend on resources that will enrich your the children’s education and experience. The remaining 40% raised goes to professional athletes who may be in need of health support. 

The children were able to work towards a gold, silver or bronze award depending on how much they raised. Bobby Jones in Reception raised an amazing £45 and was rewarded with a signed photograph of himself and Sophie.

Hayley Ferguson, Year 1 class teacher and PE coordinator said:
“Todays fundraiser has been such a fantastic experience for the children. They have been able to enjoy taking part in physical activity, whilst raising money for an important cause. It was great to see so many children be inspired by Sophie’s story and be motivated to be the best we can be.”

Sophie Carrigill said: "It's been great to be here with Sports for Champions at Blackpool Gateway Academy, they've been amazing and really engaged. It's really important to show how fun exercise can really be!